Getting The Most Out Of Your Eye Cream
An eye cream is not just your average moisturiser. It’s been specifically formulated to combat the issues concentrated around the eyes.
There are two conflicting factions when it comes to the efficacy of eye creams: the devotees and the naysayers. The naysayers believe that an eye cream is simply a glorified moisturizer. No matter where you stand on the eye cream debate, I hope you agree to the consistent use of sunscreen to take care of your eye area. This is a necessity in preventing sun damage and wrinkles around the eyes.
The delicate skin around your eyes, including your eyelids, is the thinnest skin on your body. This skin becomes thinner with age due to loss of elasticity and strength over time, making it prone to dryness, irritation, sun and environmental damage and signs of premature aging. “An eye cream is specifically designed to give support and address issues of the delicate eyelid skin,” says Naissan Wesley, an aesthetic and surgical dermatologist. With lots of eye creams on the market, knowing what to use can be confusing. It’s best to choose the right formulation to suit your skin concern.
Eye Cream Ingredients to Look Out for
Eye creams are supposed to be very gentle and relaxing around the eye .The best eye creams are not just those with the right components, but they definitely have to be free of any toxins, chemicals, animal byproducts, fragrances, or other gunk. We prefer lightweight formulations because they’re more easily and completely absorbed into the skin. Here are a few ingredients that can deliver that glow to your eyes:
- Caffeine: Known for its refreshing properties, caffeine decreases the appearance of dark circles and puffiness to give your tired-looking face a boost. Top of the list to try are: The Ordinary Caffeine Solution, The Inkey List Caffeine Eye Cream and Boots Ingredients Caffeine Eye Cream.
- Peptides: These amino acids constitute proteins like collagen and elastin that our skin needs. Since it supports collagen production, they are ideal for thinning skin and fine lines. The award winning Allies of Skin Peptides & Omegas Firming Eye Cream and NIOD Fractionated Eye-Contour Concentrate are the best buys.
- Vitamin C: Favourite among users, this brightening antioxidant reduces the appearance of dark spots, evens out skin tone, and makes skin glow. Top recommendations are Facetheory Ocuwake Eye Cream, Boots Vitamin C Brightening Eye Gel and Allies of Skin Firming Eye Cream which is also rich in Vitamin C.
Also Read: 5 Best Eye Creams in Nigeria
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid attracts water, which moisturizes the skin to provide bounce, improve skin elasticity, prevent it from aging, and also reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Try out NIOD Fractionated Eye-Contour Concentrate and CeraVe Eye Repair Cream.
- Retinol: This vitamin A derivative boosts cell turnover and helps to plump and firm the skin while tackling discoloration and reducing the appearance of wrinkles. The Inkey List Retinol Eye Cream does it all.
- Ceramides: Ceramides help retain skin moisture and defends the skin from external pollution and toxins. CeraVe Eye Repair Cream and Allies of Skin Firming Eye Cream are ceramide rich.
Other rich ingredients include: Niacinamide, Aloe Vera, Squalane, Green Tea, AHAs, Vitamins B3, E & K, Ferulic acid and Chamomile.
Tips To Help You Get The Most Out Of Your Eye Cream
- Use in small quantities. The eye area is actually very small and a good quality eye cream won’t require much.
- You’ll get better results when used on damp skin after cleansing, compared to applying it straight onto dry skin.
- Be gentle. Gently massage or tap eye cream starting from the innermost corner of the eye area and move outward, avoiding your bottom eyelashes.
- Allow your eye cream to sink in and absorb before you move on to the next step.
- Always go in order of thinnest to thickest. If your eye cream is thicker than your moisturizer, apply the moisturizer first and vice versa!
- Be consistent. Stick with the twice daily application if you want to see glowing results.
The use of eye creams are a great way to practice self-care, prevent and fade signs of aging, and brighten up the eye area. Combined with other self-care practices like a healthy diet, taking multivitamins, drinking lots of water, getting enough sleep, exercising and the use of sunscreen and other skincare products, your glow and beauty will radiate from the inside and outside, and you will always feel and look your best.
The amazing thing is that once you start using an eye cream, you’ll know exactly why it has become so popular and wonder why you didn’t incorporate it into your routine sooner! Shop yours today.